Immigration Counselor or Immigration Attorney
Position Title: Immigration Counselor or Immigration Attorney
Reporting Relationship: Director of Immigration Legal Services
Status: FT with benefits
Arrive Ministries: Is a faith-based organization that envisions the most vulnerable people transformed economically, socially, and spiritually. We work primarily with refugees resettled in Minnesota.
Primary Purpose of this Position:
To provide quality immigration legal services to the Twin Cities refugee and immigrant communities.
Direct Service Provider
- Explain to client’s immigration benefit eligibility, current immigration laws, and filing processes in comprehensible formats.
- Complete in-depth legal screenings, complete USCIS forms, and submit applications to USCIS for such services as green cards, citizenship and family reunification.
- Complete data entry in department tracking databases for all clients.
- Provide ongoing legal representation to clients with open cases. Potential tasks include but are not limited to the following: assist clients in responding to RFEs (Requests for Evidence), address changes, case processing requests, attend client interviews with USCIS.
- Grow knowledge of US Immigration laws and policies through regular immigration trainings and research.
Department Administrative Support
- Maintain department administrative databases.
- Work collaboratively with Immigration Department staff and other colleagues.
- Attend to walk-in clients and answer phone inquiries.
- Other projects within the Immigration Department as needed.
Afghan Preferred Communities ORR Contract Provider
- Coordinate client services
- Work collaboratively with partner agencies
- Database entry and upkeep of files according to World Relief and ORR (Office of Refugee Resettlement) standards.
- Ensure outcomes achieved meet goals as specified in ORR contracts.
- Prepare dashboards for monthly Arrive Ministries staff meetings and report on contract outcomes.
- Serve as first point of contact for issues and questions related to ORR contract.
- Prepare case files for the ORR audits.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required, Master’s degree in a relevant field (Social Work, Nonprofit Management, etc.), J.D. or DOJ (Department of Justice) accreditation preferred.
- Willing to work toward DOJ accreditation, if not a J.D. or have current DOJ accreditation
- Agree to the Arrive Ministries Statement of faith, values and code of conduct.
- Proven cross-cultural communication skills and experience.
- Able to speak, read, and write fluently in the English language, multilingual capabilities preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency using computer applications for writing, record keeping, and research.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Highly motivated, self-starter, quick-learner, efficient worker with proven ability to produce high-quality outcomes.
- Comfortable in a high-intensity environment and ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Patience and compassion with people in crisis, and ability to handle limited-English speaking clients.
- Excellent time management and problem-solving abilities.
- Licensed and insured driver with ability to use own vehicle for work at off-site partnership locations.
- Agree with and adhere to Transform Minnesota’s Statement of Faith, Core Values and Code of Conduct.
Desired Knowledge, Skill, and Experience:
- Previous experience with immigration legal services and/or previous DOJ accreditation.
- Experience managing and developing people and programs.
- Multilingual capabilities.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and / or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee will possess the abilities or aptitude to perform each duty proficiently.