Expectant Parent Social Worker
The Expectant Parent Social Worker position helps fulfill New Life Family Services’ mission of assisting clients in life-affirming decisions with the love and compassion of Christ by providing quality services related to those seeking decision making counseling and Expectant Parent/Birth Parent services through NLFS and its programs.
Director of Adoption
· Provide direct services to individuals and families seeking decision making counseling regarding pregnancy options. Position will specialize in serving clients who are placing for adoption and will carry a caseload of expectant parents throughout the Twin Cities metro area. This position will walk with clients through decision making counseling, coordination of placement services, meeting prospective adoptive parents, hospital time, openness agreements with adoptive family and grief counseling before and after placement.
· While much of the assessment and counseling will be related to adoption process, the Expectant Parent Social Worker will also evaluate a client’s immediate needs and develop and implement a case plan during pregnancy. This includes, but is not limited to, assessment of general status of family relationships, relationship with partner, support system and social relationships, emotional status, educational level and goals, health and medical care, preparations for childbirth, housing, financial stability, chemical use or dependency, and parenting skills.
· Provide decision making counseling and alternatives for clients including abortion procedures and risks, parenting information, and adoption education.
· Provide counseling, referrals or coordination of services for other assessed needs.
· Maintain current knowledge of the trends in adoption and of community resources applicable to the needs of caseload with assistance from Client Care Social Workers.
· Maintain accurate records of services provided according to agency standards.
· Work closely with adoption team and Client Care social workers to provide continuity of care.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work.
- Licensed Social Worker in the state of Minnesota.
- Two years professional experiences strongly preferred.
- Experience with Adoption and grief counseling preferred.
· Expectant Parent Social Worker will be expected to complete outreach on behalf of the expectant parent services offered at New Life. This will include, but is not limited to, networking with nurses, clinics, hospital social workers, and other Pregnancy Centers.
· Attend all New Life fundraising events. Expected to participate in agency sponsored events, which may include some evening and/or weekend hours. Due to outreach and meeting with clients, applicant is expected to have reliable transportation.
· Promote a positive agency image to other Social Service agencies. May be asked to speak periodically in churches and/or community events on behalf of the agency.
Complete continuing education requirements for renewing Social Work License. Attend professional workshops and seminars. Keep current on best practices and trends in the fields of adoption, early parenting, child development, pregnancy care, sexual health and community resources.
- Demonstrated faith in Jesus Christ.
- Agrees with and adheres to Transform Minnesota Statement of Faith, Core Values, and Code of Conduct.
- Exhibit strong commitment and dedication to the sanctity of all human life.
- Exhibit strong commitment and dedication to sexual purity.
- Be able to express a clear understanding of the inner workings of a pregnancy care center.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and administrative skills.
- Exhibit strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple responsibilities at once.
- Exhibit ability to respect client and donor confidentiality through the safe-keeping of related information.